One Year Technical Placement Student Opportunity; Starting Summer 2020; Salary TBC
We are an award-winning, high-growth education technology start-up based in Bath. EZ Education was formed by Tom Minor and Nicola Chilman in July 2012 to develop DoodleMaths, an adaptive maths application for primary and secondary-aged children. We are based in the centre of Bath. DoodleMaths and EZ Education have been described as being one of the UK’s most exciting EdTech startups (Sparkies Best Mobile App 2016 and ‘Good’ Award 2019; Winner, Pitch@Palace 2016; Bath Life Awards Winner 2017 and 2018; finalists and Highly Commended in the BETT, ERA and GESS Awards 2019; winner, Barclays Entrepreneur Awards 2019).
- You’re polite, warm and great at communicating. You’re thorough and pay attention to detail.
- You’re smart and you want your work to have an impact on the world; you’re a fast learner; you think ahead; you think creatively. You’re positive and optimistic, pro-actively addressing issues that need to be changed rather than complaining or feeling helpless. You are able to work independently, but are also a great team player.
- You love our applications – DoodleMaths and DoodleEnglish – and want to be an integral part of our mission: to build adaptive learning technology that builds confidence in children. You are interested in new technology, start-ups, and perhaps entrepreneurship, too.
- You are OK with change, even when quite rapid. You’re happy to do what needs to be done.
- You’ll be able to grow your skills in a number of different areas although your main focus will be providing support to the in-house technical team of seven.
- We largely develop our apps using a cross-platform SDK (Unity), although we also use web-based languages and have two applications that are coded natively, too. Our back-end system is coded in PHP around a Laravel framework. You would quickly gain experience in a number of different technologies, and so a willingness to learn is essential.
- You will need to be able to replicate technical errors and troubleshoot them, and you will work closely with the technical team to identify and resolve bugs. You will need to actively think of ways to improve the app and the general customer experience. Be prepared to take on responsibility quickly – under the guidance of our hugely-experienced tech lead, you will take on many development projects of your own.
“My overall experience with EZ Education has been fantastic: I’ve learned so much about commercial awareness, coding standards and practices, and working with different sectors of a business. In my time here I’ve been involved in several major projects, had the chance to work on applications and both front and back end web development, and found the company culture to be incredibly supportive of personal development and in recognising progress.” Jack Taylor, Placement Student, January 2018.
How to apply:
If interested in applying, please email a covering letter, describing why the placement is of interest to you, along with a CV, to email@example.com by Friday 9th March 2020.